As 2019—and this decade—comes to an end, we at Morton Capital would like to thank you for allowing us to continue to be part of your story. And for those of you who just joined our community this year, we are excited to start our story together. As we look forward to the year ahead, we would like to take a moment to share with you some highlights of what we’ve been working on over the past year.
MC TEAM AND GROWTH
In 2019, we continued to focus on making our team even better through initiatives around hiring, team structure, and firm growth.
- We were named one of the Best Places to Work for Financial Advisors by Investment News. This list highlights the top 75 firms nationwide in the financial advice industry. We were chosen 2nd among firms our size and 16th overall.
- We hired talented new people across several teams, including the advisory, financial planning, investment research and operations teams. New hires included:
- Brian Standing, Esq. (Wealth Planner); Patrice Bening (Client Service Associate); Olivia Payne (Client Service Associate); Adam Bartkoski (Finance and HR Manager); Milan Pfeisinger (Research Analyst); Elana Yaffe (Paraplanner); Amber McBride (Paraplanner); Edward Garcia (Client Service Administrator); Chris Wahl (Client Service Administrator); Clarence Welton (Client Service Administrator); Austin Overholt (Private Investments Administrator); Benjamin Markman (Private Investments Administrator); and Kierstan Lewis (Administrative Assistant)
- Two of our Wealth Advisors, Kevin Rex and Wade Calvert, became new partners in the firm.
- We built out our internal team structure to create additional client support and to create new opportunities for team member career growth.
- Through the hard work and dedication of our team, we were able to add just under 40 new client households to the MC community.
- Two team members have welcomed beautiful baby girls Audriana (Kevin Rex) and Harlowe (Sarah Ellis) this year. Since sourcing young talent is always important, stay tuned for our 2041 year-end letter, as these girls’ names may appear amongst those hired!
EDUCATION AND ENHANCEMENT
Continuing to cultivate our team’s passion for education and to enhance our offering through technology, security, and leadership initiatives was also a focus over the past year.
- Team members attended multiple conferences to stay at the forefront of our industry, network with thought leaders and enhance our financial planning and technological capabilities.
- Our COO, Stacey McKinnon, spoke at 5 events this year, including at such leading conferences as Bob Veres’s Insider’s Forum in Nashville in September.
- We worked to make our internal processes more efficient by introducing new CRM and workflow systems to improve your client experience
- We continue to utilize multiple fraud prevention measures, such as verbal confirmations and dual-factor authentication when available, to protect our clients from increasingly sophisticated fraud attempts.
- In August, we introduced our popular Financial Bites lunch series for clients in our downstairs suite, where advisors spoke about the basics of a number of financial planning topics to educate and empower attendees.
- This year, Wealth Advisor and Senior Vice President Joe Seetoo earned his CEPA (Certified Exit Planning AdvisorTM) designation, and Associate Wealth Advisor Sarah Ellis passed her Series 65 exam.
- As part of our focus on education, many other team members are in the process of obtaining additional certifications in such areas as financial planning, investment research, private wealth management, and insurance.
INVESTMENT RESEARCH AND FINANCIAL PLANNING
We work diligently behind the scenes to source great investment opportunities for our clients. To give you a peek behind the curtain, this year:
- We screened hundreds of new investment opportunities and performed nearly 90 more in-depth reviews, which included meetings and/or phone calls with fund managers.
- Out of those 90 opportunities, we introduced 6 new strategies for client portfolios.
- In addition to numerous site visits around Southern California, we also performed due diligence on various groups in New York, Texas and Kentucky.
- We made three new additions (see above) to our investment research and operations teams.
- We continued to augment our internal research with outsourced research, both from larger, more institutional groups (e.g., Capital Economics, Bloomberg, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Dimensional Funds, GMO, Elliott Management, Litman Gregory) and from more niche authors as well.
Over the past year, we have refined and expanded our financial planning offering by:
- Adding wealth and legacy planning as an additional component of our financial planning service. This additional service has been spearheaded by Wealth Planner Brian Standing, who has 12 years of estate planning and wealth transfer experience.
- Making three new additions (see above) to our financial planning and wealth and legacy planning teams.
- Completing 180 financial plans for our clients.
- Holding 50 education sessions for our advisors, with the goal of enhancing our ability to provide you with advice in estate planning, insurance, tax strategies, and retirement planning.
- Collaborating with clients’ other professional advisors, including estate attorneys, CPAs and insurance agents.
Looking back on all that we’ve accomplished over the last year, we are excited to see how our constant pursuit of knowledge and growth has been better able to help you, our clients, get the most life out of your wealth. We truly appreciate your continued confidence and wish you and your family a very happy new year.
See you in 2020!
-Your Morton Team